January 18, 2021 | |Post a Comment

first_imgPhoto: USDANEW YORK – State attorneys general are finding a national settlement over the toll of opioids to be elusive, as some lawyers for state and local governments are renewing public criticism of the proposed deal with a group of companies led by the nation’s largest drug distributors.A group of top state lawyers in October announced the framework for a deal that they said would be worth about $48 billion in cash, treatment drugs and services over time.Some state attorneys general and lawyers for local governments criticized it at the time. They’re speaking up anew as the push continues to reach a deal, with a trial over opioids scheduled to start next month in New York .In a statement Friday, Patrick Morrisey, the attorney general in West Virginia, one of the states hit hardest by the opioid crisis, said the $22 billion in cash being offered by distributors AmerisourceBergen, Cardinal Health and McKesson plus drugmaker Johnson & Johnson “is way too low.” Under terms previously announced, Teva Pharmaceuticals would also provide a free addiction treatment drug, and the other companies would distribute it.Morrisey also said that the money would not be allocated fairly under the plan as it stood because states’ shares would be based too much on population and not enough on the impact of the crisis.“When addressing a national public health crisis, a global settlement shouldn’t be about a pure money grab for the states,” he said. “Monies should be targeted to those who need it most and spent on abatement.”His statement showed that at least some attorneys general remain resolute not to accept the offer a week after 21 of them signed a letter saying they opposed the deal as offered.Lead lawyers for more than 2,500 local governments suing the drug industry said Friday that the companies have offered an additional $1.2 billion in cash over 18 years. The lawyers said that’s not enough: “Concerns remain that the total value being proposed is not adequate nor does it provide any degree of assurance that resources will reach communities.”The attorneys general from North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Tennessee and Texas who championed the settlement in October said it was better to have a national deal than see money go out piecemeal — while it lasts — through trial judgments.Prescription and illicit painkillers have been linked to more than 430,000 deaths in the U.S. in the past two decades, and they’ve created financial burdens for families who have lost incomes and governments who have seen public service expenses rise as they’ve tried to deal with the crisis.The offices of several attorneys general who have supported the deal have declined comment or not returned messages.The companies also did not respond to messages or did not comment on Friday night.Earlier in the week, McKesson said in a statement that it was trying to finalize a settlement settlement “that would serve as the best path forward to provide billions of dollars in immediate funding and relief to states and local communities.” Share:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)last_img read more

January 18, 2021 | |Post a Comment

first_imgShare:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window) Image via Buffalo Bills / Twitter.com.BUFFALO — Brandon Beane dismisses the growing buzz suggesting the Buffalo Bills are suddenly the AFC East favorites after Tom Brady left for Tampa Bay.“The team to beat in the East is the Patriots,” the Bills general manager said, referring to a New England team that has essentially owned the division – including a 35-5 record against Buffalo – over the 20 seasons under coach Bill Belichick.“I think it’s funny and comical that people are writing them off,” Beane said. “So, until we beat them, we’ve done nothing. And we’ve got our work cut out for us.”There certainly is more work to do for a franchise that hasn’t won a playoff game since Dec. 30, 1995, and only recently ended a 17-year postseason drought by qualifying in both 2017 and last year. To be fair, though, Beane has already done plenty of heavy lifting in putting the Bills in the conversation as realistic contenders after spending the past three years methodically rebuilding Buffalo’s roster from the ground up.It’s to the point where Buffalo entered the three-day NFL draft with very few holes to fill. Beane has addressed many of the team’s immediate needs with veteran free-agent additions, and dealt a first-round pick (22nd overall) to land receiver Stefon Diggs in a trade with Minnesota.The trade left Beane preparing to sit out the first round Thursday. Barring trades, Buffalo has seven selections, starting with a second-rounder (54th overall) on Friday night.With essentially all 22 starting spots filled, Beane has the freedom of shoring up depth needs in targeting the best player available.With LSU’s Clyde Edwards-Helaire the only running back taken in the first round, Buffalo is in position to potentially select Wisconsin’s Jonathan Taylor or Ohio State’s J.K. Dobbins to complement Devin Singletary, who took over the starting role as a rookie last year.Another possibility is cornerback — Diggs’ younger brother, Trevon, is available — to develop a youngster to eventually play opposite starter Tre’Davious White.And Buffalo can always use more pass-rushing help with returning starters Jerry Hughes and Trent Murphy each going to be 30 or older before this year ends. Iowa’s A.J. Epenesa, Missouri’s Jordan Elliott and Notre Dame’s Julian Okwara are potential options.Beane was noncommittal when asked if he places an emphasis on selecting a more established prospect over one who might need time to develop.“It may be a tiebreaker, but I’m not going to pass up a good player. I’m still going to go best player available,” Beane said, before adding he might target positional depth needs in the later rounds. “Early on, second or third round, it will definitely be the best player, offense, defense, whatever.”The decision to acquire Diggs and fill Buffalo’s primary offseason need paid off given how the first round of the draft unfolded. By trading his first-round selection, Beane took into account the possibility he wouldn’t be in a position to select any of the top receiving prospects before it came time for the No. 22 pick.Beane proved correct, with Henry Ruggs, Jerry Jeudy and CeeDee Lamb all gone by the 17th selection.The Vikings used Buffalo’s pick to select LSU’s Justin Jefferson, who became the fifth receiver selected.When it came time for the Vikings’ selection, the Bills posted a video on their Twitter account, and the message: “You already know.” The video began with the voice of NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell announcing the 22nd pick, followed by highlights of Diggs’ catches.Buffalo entered the offseason also having the advantage of having continuity at many skill positions and with a Sean McDermott-led coaching staff that returns mostly intact for a third consecutive year. Many of the free agents the Bills added have ties to Beane and McDermott when the two were with the Carolina Panthers.Beane placed an emphasis on familiarity by taking into account the likelihood of the coronavirus pandemic cutting into how much practice time teams will have before the season.“I think it can help. It can’t hurt us,” Beane said of the added importance of having continuity entering this season.He referred to the lockout-shortened 2011 offseason, when he was the Panthers director of football operations and Carolina was introducing a new coaching staff under Ron Rivera.“We were signing free agents in August to go start training camp. It was something I’d never seen,” Beane said. “So, I like the continuity of where we’re at. But we still have a lot of work do to once we get back.”last_img read more

January 18, 2021 | |Post a Comment

first_imgShare:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window) Public Domain Pictures GERRY — New York State Police have released more information regarding the drowning death of a three-year-old boy in the Town of Gerry.Troopers said that at 4:40 p.m., Monday, they responded to a call for a missing child on Damon Hill Road.While patrols were in route to the area, the child was found unresponsive at the bottom of an above ground pool.Troopers and a Chautauqua County Sheriff’s Deputy attempted life-saving measures but were not successful. Police said the child was not wearing a life vest. His body was transported to the Erie County Medical Examiner’s Office for an autopsy.Sinclairville Fire Department and EMS assisted in this incident, which remains under investigation.last_img read more

January 18, 2021 | |Post a Comment

first_imgPixels ImageALBANY — New York Governor Andrew Cuomo has ordered bars and restaurants across the state to not sell alcohol to patrons who are not ordering food.“All restaurants and bars statewide will be subject to new requirements that they must only serve alcohol to people who are ordering and eating food and that all service at bar tops must only be for seated patrons who are socially distanced by six feet or separated by physical barriers,” Cuomo said in a press release.Under current law, only establishments that serve food are permitted to serve alcoholic beverages.The order Cuomo issued states: “For each patron in a seated party, an item of food must be purchased at the same time as the purchase of the initial alcoholic beverage(s). However, one or more shareable food item(s) may be purchased, so long as it/they would sufficiently serve the number of people in the party.” Share:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)last_img read more

January 18, 2021 | |Post a Comment

first_img View Comments Joseph will wear his coat of many colors in a cartoon! Composer Andrew Lloyd Webber recently hinted that a movie adaptation of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat was in the works, and now Elton John’s Rocket Pictures (which previously produced Gnomeo & Juliet) has acquired the film rights and is set to make an all-new animated feature. No word yet on casting or release dates. This isn’t Joseph’s first foray into film—a straight-to-video movie starring Donny Osmond was released in 1999.  Joseph, the first hit collaboration of Lloyd Webber and Rice, tells the tale of the trials and triumphs of Joseph, Israel’s favorite son. The musical blends pop, country and rock into an uplifting technicolored story of biblical proportions containing much-loved numbers including “Any Dream Will Do,” “One More Angel in Heaven,” “Close Every Door” and “Go, Go, Go Joseph!” “I have always thought Joseph was a strong contender for an animation production,” Rice said in a statement. “And I’m delighted this is now going to happen.” Lloyd Webber added that the show “is now being performed all over the world by a third generation of school kids, and a great movie can only help Joseph being part of the lives of many more.” Lyricist Rice has won Oscars with both John (for The Lion King) and Lloyd Webber (for Evita). It remains to be seen if Rice and Lloyd Webber will reunite to write a new song for Joseph that could be an Oscar contender.last_img read more

January 18, 2021 | |Post a Comment

first_imgYou know what pics we’re talking about. Regardless of what body parts he’s putting through the Valencia filter, there’s no denying it: James Franco is a busy man. The Of Mice and Men star stopped by The Late Show on May 8 to discuss with David Letterman his transition from performing in front of a camera to in front of an audience, just before heading to the Longacre Theatre for that evening’s show. Franco revealed that he sometimes has to resist the urge to channel his inner LuPone during matinees with student groups: “I love that the students come and watch and they’re very engaged, but they laugh at strange moments.” Turns out, they don’t just laugh, but they also catcall him, during death scenes, no less! And yes, Letterman confronts the star about his questionable selfies, asking, “Honest to God, why?!” His rebuttal? “It’s what the people want!” If you say so, Franco. Surely you’ve learned by now that we’re keeping an eye on your Instagram activity. Take a look at the fun interview below! View Comments Related Shows Of Mice and Men Show Closed This production ended its run on July 27, 2014 Star Files James Francolast_img read more

January 18, 2021 | |Post a Comment

first_img Show Closed This production ended its run on June 28, 2015 The Audience follows the reign of Queen Elizabeth II from 1952 to the Diamond Jubilee in 2012. For 50 years the Queen has sat with all of England’s Prime Ministers for private, weekly meetings at Buckingham Palace. The Audience breaks the silence on these highly secretive meetings. Morgan is apparently contemplating adding Tony Blair, who didn’t feature in London, to the New York line-up. Her Majesty is coming to Broadway! As previously speculated, Oscar winner Helen Mirren, who reprised the role of Queen Elizabeth II in the acclaimed 2013 West End production of The Audience, will star in a New York mounting of Peter Morgan’s new play. The Daily Mail reports that Mirren has confirmed that she will begin rehearsals in mid-January next year, with the show starting previews in February. The drama will officially open at a Shubert theater to be confirmed in March. Morgan wrote the screenplay for the hit 2006 film The Queen, which also starred Mirren as Elizabeth II; her performance won her the Academy Award. She earned Tony nominations for A Month in the Country and Dance of Death. Mirren’s London theater credits include Teeth ‘n’ Smiles, The Seagull, Henry VI, The Roaring Girl, Two Way Mirror and Some Kind of Love Story. Her additional film and TV credits include The Debt, Excalibur, National Treasure: Book of Secrets, Frasier and a cameo as Becky’s Inner Voice on Glee. Related Shows View Comments The Audiencelast_img read more

January 18, 2021 | |Post a Comment

first_img Additional cast members include Ernest Abuba, Joel de la Fuente, Tsering Dorjee, Takemi Kitamura, James Saito, Jon Norman Schneider and Nami Yamamoto. The Oldest Boy In The Oldest Boy, Tenzin, the toddler son of an American woman (Keenan-Bolger) and a Tibetan man (de la Fuente), is recognized as the reincarnation of a high Buddhist teacher. Differing cultures contend with competing ideas of faith and love when two monks seek permission to take Tenzin to a monastery in India to begin his training as a spiritual master. His parents must decide whether to send their young son away or keep him home. Show Closed This production ended its run on Dec. 28, 2014 Three-time Tony nominee Celia Keenan-Bolger will star in the world premiere of Sarah Ruhl’s The Oldest Boy at Lincoln Center. Under the direction of Rebecca Taichman, the off-Broadway play will begin previews on October 9 prior to a November 3 opening at the Mitzi E. Newhouse Theater.center_img Related Shows Keenan-Bolger recently earned her third Tony nomination for her performance in The Glass Menagerie. She garnered additional nods for Peter and the Starcatcher and The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee. She also appeared on Broadway in Les Miserables. Abuba has appeared on Broadway in Pacific Overtures, Loose Ends, Zoya’s Apartment and Shimada. De la Fuente’s stage credits include Hold These Truths and Round and Round. Dorjee has appeared on screen in Himalaya. Kitamura’s theater credits include Gekiryu and The Red Shadow. Saito has appeared on Broadway in shows including Flower Drum Song, Golden Child and The King and I and in films including Life of Pi and Pearl Harbor. Schneider’s stage credits include The Architecture of Becoming and House of No More. Yamamoto has appeared in numerous dance performances, including Headless Wolf and the last word was PAPIREPOSE. View Commentslast_img read more

January 18, 2021 | |Post a Comment

first_img Love Never Dies follows the Phantom to Coney Island, New York, where he begins a new life among the side shows, but still pines over Christine. When the Phantom lures Christine and her family across the world, their love story continues. The tuner features music by Lloyd Webber, lyrics by Glenn Slater, a book by Lloyd Webber, Slater and Ben Elton, and additional lyrics by Charles Hart. Watch Broadway.com’s exclusive interview with Lloyd Webber and Phillips below, as they discuss the 2014 Japanese production. The original West End production of Love Never Dies opened in March 2010, directed by Jack O’Brien and starring Broadway faves Les Miz’s Ramin Karimloo and It Shoulda Been You’s Sierra Boggess. The show closed after a year’s run and Main Stem plans were officially scrapped, although Lloyd Webber later said he was “sure” the subsequent revamped Australian version would hit the Great White Way. View Comments Another step closer to Broadway? Love Never Dies, the sequel to Andrew Lloyd Webber’s megahit The Phantom of the Opera, is heading to Hamburg, Germany, as Liebe Stirbt Nie. The production is based on the Australian reworked incarnation of the musical, directed by Simon Phillips, which was later filmed. Liebe Stirbt Nie will play the Stage Operettenhaus this fall.last_img read more

January 18, 2021 | |Post a Comment

first_imgThe sequel to the longest-running show on the Great White Way will finally land in the U.S.! Broadway.com has confirmed that Love Never Dies, the follow-up to Andrew Lloyd Webber’s The Phantom of the Opera, will tour North America in the 2017-18 season. The production is based on the Australian reworked incarnation of the musical, directed by Simon Phillips, which was later filmed and will bow in Hamburg, Germany, this fall.”There is no official announcement at this time, but after the success of the show in Sydney and Melbourne and subsequent DVD, Andrew Lloyd Webber is delighted by the interest and looks forward to American audiences seeing this Australian production,” said a spokesperson for the composer in a statement.Love Never Dies follows the Phantom to Coney Island, New York, where he begins a new life among the side shows, but still pines over Christine. When the Phantom lures Christine and her family across the world, their love story continues. The tuner features music by Lloyd Webber, lyrics by Glenn Slater, a book by Lloyd Webber, Slater and Ben Elton, and additional lyrics by Charles Hart.The original West End production of Love Never Dies opened in March 2010, directed by Jack O’Brien and starring Broadway faves Les Miz’s Ramin Karimloo and It Shoulda Been You’s Sierra Boggess. The show closed after a year’s run and Main Stem plans were officially scrapped, although Lloyd Webber later said he was “sure” the subsequent revamped Australian version would hit the Great White Way.Watch Broadway.com’s exclusive interview with Lloyd Webber and Phillips below, as they discuss the 2014 Japanese production. View Commentslast_img read more