Category: dyhpuhiq

January 20, 2020 | | Post a Comment

first_imgWeather: FineTrack: GoodRace 1 1200 M (Purse $768,000) NB3-Y-O MAIDEN SPECIAL WEIGHT*1. #1 *PROLIFIC PRINCESS SEllis 53.52. #3 VESPERS JErwin 54.0 10 1/2L3. #5 TASHIE BABY SMuir 52.5 2L4. #6 FIX IT UP RMcNaughton 52.5 2LWIN: $50.00PLACE: $50.00, $50.00, $50.00Final Time : 1:14.3 Splits : 23.2, 47.0, ,Winner : 3yo ch filly – LEGAL PROCESS out of NUTTIN BUT RED by THIRTY SIX REDTrainer : NEIVE E. GRAHAM,Owner: O’SHAUN CONNECTIONBred by CHERYL & KRISTI MARSHQuinella: (1,3) $118.00 Exacta : (1-3) $139.00Superfecta : (1-3-5-6) $323.00Race 2 1100 M (Purse $500,000) 3-Y-O & UP CLM($180,0)/NB6YO&UP(NW3)(DIV.I)*1. #4 FRANKENSTORM SEllis 57.02. #8 NEVER GIVE UP PFrancis 54.0 3L3. #7 HERECOMESTROUBLE VNajair 52.0 1 1/4L4. #2 PRINCESS NIYAH RWilson 52.5 2 1/4LDNF #1 MUSIC DIRECTOR SBlake 3 52.0Late scratch : #3 PRIMEROWIN: $57.00PLACE: $50.00, $61.00, $55.00Final Time : 1:08.2 Splits : 23.2, 46.4, ,Winner: 5yo b horse – OUTRIGGER out of SEEKING LIL by LIL’S LADTrainer: NEIVE E. GRAHAMOwner : O’SHAUN CONNECTIONBred by HAM STABLES LTD.Quinella: (4,8) $293.00 Exacta : (4-8) $356.00D/E: (1-4) $63.00Superfecta: (4-8-7-2) $2,409.00Race 3 1100 M (Purse $560,000) 3-Y-O & UP CLM($350,0-$300,0)/NB5YO(NW3)*1. #5 *HOLOGRAM SHADOW SEllis 56.02. #3 GREATER GLORY AChatrie 52.5 2 3/4L3. #7 LORD STORM SMuir 56.0 5L4. #2 ST. BERNARD WHenry 52.0 1 3/4LLate scratch : #6 EL CLIENTEWIN: $60.00Final Time : 1:07.2 Splits : 23.1, 47.0, ,Winner : 6yo b horse – DISTORTED out of UNREAL FANTASY by UNREAL ZEALTrainer : NEIVE E. GRAHAMOwner : O’SHAUN CONNECTIONBred by HAM STABLES LTD.Quinella : (3,5) $416.00 Exacta : (5-3) $667.00D/E : (4-5) $93.00Trifecta : (5-3-7) $760.00Rolling Triple : (1-4-5) $69.00Race 4 1100 M (Purse $500,000) 3-Y-O & UP CLM($180,0)/NB6YO&UP(NW3)(DIV.II)*1. #1 *CLASSICAL TRAIN RMairs 55.02. #3 BURNING MEDIC OSewell3 54.0 8 1/2L3. #10 EUSEBIA OWalker 55.0 2 1/2L4. #4 SANKOFA SBlake3 50.0 1/2LLate scratch : #5 BIG BAD LINKS, #7 VERY CRAFTY, #8 REAL VIBES MACHINEWIN: $102.00PLACE: $50.00, $50.00, $50.00Final Time : 1:08.2 Splits : 23.2, 46.3, ,Winner : 4yo ch filly – WESTERN CLASSIC out of REALITY TIME by REALITY ROADTrainer : HARRY PARSARDOwner : HARRY PARSARDBred by HAM STABLES LTD.Quinella : (1,3) $341.00 Exacta : (1-3) $457.00D/E : (5-1) $234.00 (5-5) $86.00Superfecta : (1-3-10-4) $869.00Rolling Triple : (4-5-1) $209.00Race 5 1500 M (Purse $560,000) NB4-Y-O & UP RESTRICTED ALLOWANCE IV (NW3)1. #10 SHE’S PLUMMY PFrancis 53.02. #5 *NATASHADONTPLAY OWalker 54.0 5L3. #4 NO MONEY FRIEND AMartin 54.0 4L4. #3 HOLIDAY WEEKEND WHenry 56.0 Head5. #8 ZEUS OSewell3 51.0 NeckLate scratch : #7 LORD CHEPSOWIN: $157.00PLACE: $55.00, $65.00, $67.00Final Time : 1:33.4 Splits : 24.3, 47.4, 1:14.0,Winner : 4yo b filly – HE’STHEREALTHING out of PLEASANT COMPANY by REPRIEVETrainer : SPENCER,DELROY Owner : DELROY SPENCERBred by ORANGE VALLEY ESTATES LTD.Quinella: (5,10) $231.00 Exacta : (10-5) $463.00D/E : (1-10) $582.00Trifecta : (10-5-4) $634.00Hi-5 : (10-5-4-3-8) $6,997.00Rolling Triple : (5-1-10) $1,150.00Race 6 1400 M (Purse $500,000) NB4-Y-O & UP MAIDEN CONDITION RACE1. #7 *DARLIN RHalledeen 53.02. #11 WHO’S BOSSY KPowell 55.0 1 3/4L3. #9 MY FAVORITE DANCER WHenry 54.0 5 1/2L4. #5 NO PAIN NO GAIN RWilson 53.0 Neck5. #15 SMART TRAIN OSimpson3 50.0 2L6. #4 TWILIGHT ROCKET SEllis 57.0 1/2LDNF #2 CRUCIAL ATTACK CBudhai 53.0 61/1WIN: $175.00PLACE: $105.00, $131.00, $142.00Final Time : 1:30.3 Splits : 24.4, 49.1, 1:15.4,Winner : 4yo b filly – DISTORTED out of YANKEE PRINCESS by AMERICA’S PALTrainer : OWEN E. SHARPEOwner : OWEN & SOLOMON SHARPEBred by OWEN & SOLOMON SHARPEQuinella : (7,11) $418.00 Exacta : (7-11) $733.00D/E : (10-7) $678.00Trifecta : (7-11-9) $884.00Hit-6 carry-over : $29,545.75Rolling Triple : (1-10-7) $2,576.00Race 7 1500 M (Purse $768,000) NB3-Y-O MAIDEN CONDITION RACE -NOT EARNED $100,0 SINCE APRIL 241. #7 COLORS OF WAR AChatrie 51.52. #8 DREAM ADMIRAL WHenry 56.0 3 1/4L3. #5 HOMECOMING KRobinson 52.0 7L4. #3 MR. GRAND NATIONAL RNelson4 49.5 1 1/2L*5. #10 *KINGS OF JORDAN SMuir 53.0 2L6. #6 TRADITIONAL STORM RMcNaughton 52.5 1 1/2LWIN: $293.00PLACE: $194.00, $178.00, $196.00Final Time : 1:37.2 Splits : 24.2, 48.2, 1:15.1,Winner : 3yo ch filly – WAR MARSHALL out of COLOUROFMONEY by DEFRERETrainer : PATRICK A. FONGOwner : NEW BLUE LTD.Bred by LAURENCE HEFFESQuinella : (7,8) $850.00 Exacta : (7-8) $1,874.00D/E : (7-7) $1,624.00Trifecta : (7-8-5) $33,540.00Hi-5 carry-over : $68,659.50Rolling Triple : (10-7-7) $9,149.00Super-6 : (4-5-1-10-7-7 ) $8,351.50Race 8 1300 M (Purse $530,000) NB4-Y-O & UP RESTRICTED ALLOWANCE V(NW2)1. #5 ROYAL GIRL WHenry 51.02. #6 TRACKING DANIEL RHalledeen 53.0 4 1/2L3. #7 MISTY RMcNaughton 52.0 1L4. #3 LITTLE RHEA KRobinson 54.0 Sh.HeadWIN: $80.00PLACE: $66.00, $133.00, $489.00Final Time : 1:23.1 Splits : 24.1, 48.1, 1:14.4,Winner : 4yo b filly – MARKET RALLY out of ROYAL EMPRESS by ROYAL MINISTERTrainer: PATRICK A. CHANGOwner : PATRICK A CHANGBred by DAMIAN CHIN-YOU & LAURENCE HEFFESQuinella : (5,6) $996.00 Exacta : (5-6) $1,049.00D/E : (7-5) $858.00Superfecta : (5-6-7-3) $29,023.00Rolling Triple : (7-7-5) $8,017.00Race 9 1500 M (Purse $500,000) 4YO&UP CLM($180,0)-NOT EARNED $110,0 SINCE APRIL 241. #5 ALPHALETTA WHenry 52.02. #6 SMART BIDDER JErwin 57.0 5L3. #3 JOHN D LINJAH RNelson4 52.5 1/2L4. #1 EARLY EDITION HLewis 50.0 2 1/4L5. #9 PAPER N LACE MGriffiths3 49.0 1 1/4L6. #16 WINIT KRobinson 52.0 2 1/2LLate scratch : #4 TOKICOWIN: $155.00PLACE: $92.00, $120.00, $227.00Final Time : 1:38.0 Splits : 24.1, 48.3, 1:15.4,Winner : 6yo mare – ALPHABET SOUP out of LADY LIVERMORE byTrainer: ANDREW A. MCDONALDOwner: BIG BUSINESSBred by ROBBINS, GENEQuinella : (5,6) $391.00 Exacta : (5-6) $621.00D/E : (5-5) $233.00Trifecta : (5-6-3) $6,460.00Hi-5 : (5-6-3-1-9) $102,836.50Rolling Triple : (7-5-5) $3,355.00Pick-4 : (7-7-5-5-) $108,040.00Super-6 : (1-10-7-7-5-5) $48,121.50Pick-9 : (1-4-5-1-10-7-7-5-5) $47,476.00last_img read more

January 20, 2020 | | Post a Comment

first_imgNEWCASTLE, England (AP): Georginio Wijnaldum scored four goals as Newcastle recorded their first win of the Premier League season in style yesterday crushing Norwich 6-2 at St James’ Park. The Dutch international scored twice, and Ayoze Perez added a third, as Newcastle led 3-2 at the end of an action-packed first half, with Dieumerci Mbokani and Nathan Redmond replying for the visitors. Wijnaldum followed up by scoring two more after the break, along with a 64th minute strike by Aleksandar Mitrovic. Steve McClaren’s Newcastle remains in the relegation zone, but moves from last place to 18th in the standings – two points behind promoted Bournemouth. The win also sets them up perfectly for next weekend’s derby trip to fellow strugglers Sunderland. Newcastle took a 14th-minute lead when, after a one-two between Moussa Sissoko and Mitrovic had not come off, the France international calmly shifted the ball before sliding it into the path of Wijnaldum, who finished efficiently. The lead lasted just six minutes when Sissoko’s absence allowed Robbie Brady, who had earlier rattled a post from distance, to find Martin Olsson down the left and his inviting cross was touched home by Mbokani. However, Wijnaldum struck once again to head Sissoko’s 26th-minute cross past goalkeeper John Ruddy, and when Perez beat Ruddy from close range after Olsson had blocked his initial effort, the Magpies looked to be well on their way with 12 minutes of the first half remaining. But Norwich grabbed a second lifeline within seconds. Olsson was allowed time and space on the left to cross, and Redmond was similarly unchallenged as he volleyed home from beyond the far post. As the former England coach talked to his players at the break, McClaren’s emotions will have been decidedly mixed after 45 minutes which had seen them play some wonderful, incisive football and also twice gift Norwich a way back into the game. Norwich laid siege to the Newcastle goal during the opening stages of the second half, but the task became more difficult with 64 minutes gone. Sissoko floated the ball into Mitrovic’s run and the Serbia international controlled with his chest before smashing a left-foot volley past the helpless Ruddy, whose afternoon took a further turn for the worse two minutes later. Sissoko and Wijnaldum combined to allow Daryl Janmaat to cross and Wijnaldum timed his run to perfection to complete his hat-trick with a close-range header. Although Redmond later struck the upright at the other end, the Dutch international’s 85th-minute shot was deflected into the top corner to round off a vital win for his team.last_img read more

January 17, 2020 | | Post a Comment

first_imgDear Editor,I write on behalf of several parents who are afraid to speak out and let their voices be heard because they fear that their children would be victimised. The issue is in relation to Leonora Primary School offering extra lessons to Grade 2 pupils. Yes, Grade 2. These children are on average six years old, have to attend school from 08:45hrs to about 15:00hrs, and are now being asked to attend extra lessons at the school. I should point out that this is being offered at a fee.After the lessons, these children, depending on where they live, get home very late. Once they are home, they have to complete homework which is due the next day. They are also required to study from the regular text books which have been made mandatory by the school/Ministry of Education if they are to cover the syllabus.By then these children are tired and worn out, and would have to retire to bed. My child has complained several times that this is too much for him to endure, and it is causing him to be sick.Editor, can you please tell me when would these children get time to play or to actually be children? Play time should be compulsory for every child; this is what happens in countries across the world. The question is: Why are these children made to go through this torture at such a young age? I should also ask what is preventing these teachers from finishing off the syllabus during regular school hours.Yes, we do understand that it is the level where children have to be prepared for the Grade 2 Assessment, but they should not be made to suffer. In fact, this is doing more harm to the children than good.It could be recalled that, sometime back, the Ministry of Education had implemented a policy to ban extra lessons and enforce teachers to work hard — which they are paid to do — to finish the syllabus on time, irrespective of the grade the child is in. If a teacher wants to give extra lessons, while the school may argue that these lessons are not compulsory, other children who are not attending will automatically feel that they are missing out on work that they should have been part of. It would also be of great disadvantage to the child if the teacher chooses these sessions to introduce new topics. One can only imagine the confusion this would generate.While I will not delve into detail on the additional financial burden this will place on parents, I should mention briefly that parents are already saddled with so many expenses in relation to ‘internet-based’ homework, transportation, meals, sanitation fees, money for text books, money for test papers, etc.On a separate note, in terms of the ‘internet-based’ home work, the Ministry of Education needs to relook at its approach to assignments in general. When concerns are raised with the teachers about the level of the assignments given out, the teachers would say it is the Ministry of Education that makes these decisions. Some of these ‘assignments’ could be done in groups in class with proper supervision from the teacher. What we are seeing now is that parents would have to refer to an internet café to get them done, as they ask for pictures. Also, in relation to the ‘projects’ given to do as ‘assignment’, because parents want the maximum marks for their children, some end up giving professionals to complete; like joiners, carpenters, workers at internet cafes etc. This is wrong, and unfair to other children who actually spend time to get their work done.In addition to being unfair, just imagine the cost for materials and labour etc that parents are burdened with. The point I am making is that because of the approach taken, the child is not allowed to explore his/ her creative abilities. Much of the work which should be done at school is being transferred to the home at a very high price.A number of parents are scared to speak out, but they are grumbling in small corners, and the general feeling is ‘that this is the system, and nothing can be done’.We do hope that the Ministry of Education will take note of the issues raised in this letter, and take action to ensure that some of these issues are addressed for the benefit of our children, not just for the Grade 2 level at Leonora Primary, but for others schools as well.Yours truly,Concerned parentName and addresswithheldlast_img read more

January 12, 2020 | | Post a Comment

first_imgTravis McLean played great in net for the Huskies, as the team took a 1-0 series lead, making 25 saves for the win, while Tanner Fjellstrom emerged from the dressing room wearing the Huskies’ MVP hard hat, voted on by his teammates.The next day’s game two was equally intense, and once again, the Huskies built themselves a two-goal lead, as Tanner Fjellstrom, playing on a line with Robbie Sidhu and Tyler Norris, added two more goals to his already impressive playoff total, scoring twice in the second period, compared to just one scored by the Wolves in the middle frame.With the Huskies leading 3-1 entering the third, penalty troubles began to build up for Fort St. John, and despite doing an excellent job on the penalty kill throughout the entire game, the Wolves’ lone power-play goal of the game cut the Huskies’ lead in half, providing some momentum for Slave Lake. At 14:36, Taylor Riddoch fired a slap shot from the point, beating Huskies rookie goalie Daimon Derouin, making his postseason debut, tying the game at 3-3.Following regulation, overtime was necessary to settle the score, with just one goal having a huge impact on the opening round series. On a very similar play to game one’s game-winner, Daylen Pearson got the puck at the point, fired a hard one-timer on net. Despite making the first save, Malbeuf wasn’t able to track down the rebound, as Brighton Campbell jumped on the loose puck, sliding it into the net, sending the Huskies bench into a celebration for the ages.Derouin, playing in his first NWJHL playoff game, made 22 saves for his first postseason win, while Fjeslltrom is tied for the league lead in postseason goals with four.Advertisement With a commanding two-game lead in the best-of-five series, the Huskies now have two opportunities to close out the series on home ice, which can be achieved tonight, as the teams play their third game in as many nights.Game three hits the ice of the North Peace Arena at 7 p.m. It was an action packed third period, which began wonderfully for the visiting team, as the Huskies built themselves a two-goal lead courtesy of Fjellstrom’s second of the game, on the power-play, and rookie Cayle Bell scoring his first of the postseason following a great burst of speed around a defender.Rather than feel sorry for themselves, the Wolves responded well, scoring two unanswered goals themselves, as Gordy Laderoute and James Green scored in a span of 2:30, setting up the game for a dramatic conclusion.The game winner was scored with 2:50 remaining in regulation, as the Huskies found themselves on the power-play, cycling the puck well and getting the puck to defencemen Daylen Pearson. From the point, Pearson fired the puck quickly as to not allow the Wolves penalty killers to set up defensively, as the quick shot beat a screened Malbeuf, sending the Huskies players into a frenzy.The team did a fantastic job at killing the final 2:50, claiming game one 5-4, while out-shooting the Wolves 39-29 in the process.Advertisementcenter_img The intensity began Saturday evening for game one, when the Huskies not only made their 2013 postseason debut, but also introduced a new face to their roster, as the team met their newest player, Tanner Fjellstrom, who was also making his NWJHL debut Saturday.Game one began a bit slow for both sides, as each team had trouble creating much offence in the opening period, which concluded with the shot total reading 8-5 in favour of Slave Lake.The second period was the opposite end of the spectrum, as the teams found their offensive touch, which began with the road team scoring first. At 6:41 in the second, Huskies captain Shawn Holliday stepped off the Huskies bench, received the puck, and quickly fired a shot high over the glove of Curtis Malbeuf, providing the Huskies a 1-0 lead.- Advertisement -The back-and-forth weekend began following Holliday’s goal, as the Wolves’ Travis Malbeuf responded on the power-play four minutes later, tying the game at 1-1.Roughly four minutes later, Fjellstrom got the goal scoring monkey off his back, scoring his first goal as a Husky, getting great body position in front of the net, and sliding in a rebound. However, the lead didn’t last long, as the Wolves scored their second power-play marker of the period, tying the score at 2-2.Despite the scoreboard being tied, the second period belonged to the Huskies, who totalled 20 shots in the second, compared to the nine fired by the Wolves.Advertisementlast_img read more

January 11, 2020 | | Post a Comment

first_img“We were out to prove that we belong in the state playoffs but don’t get me wrong, Los Alamitos is a great team. They have a Southern Section title and we don’t. I would still, even at this point, trade places with them in a second.” However that may be, it doesn’t change the fact the Hawks outscored the Griffins 20-10 in the final quarter and 18-6 in the game’s final five minutes to pull away. After making only 4 of 17 free throws through the first three quarters, Arroyo Valley made them when they counted the most. In the fourth quarter, the Hawks made 5 of 7 to seal the win. Moore, who scored 27 points against Redondo on Saturday, finished with 13 on Tuesday while Clint Amberry had 17 and Cameron Jones 14 to pace Los Alamitos. “Once we were up big in the first half, we felt it was going to be easy the rest of the way and we didn’t take them seriously,” Moore said. “In the first half, we went by our game plan, which was attacking the basket, but in the second half, once we had a big lead, we settled for jump shots. “I think that’s what cost us the game and it’s why they’re going to the next round and we’re not.” 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! And at the start of their game on Tuesday, it looked like they were going to extend their streak to 22 when they scored the first six points of the game en route to taking a 21-7 lead after the first quarter. In the second quarter, their lead grew to as many as 16 points when junior forward Corbin Moore scored a basket to give Los Alamitos a 31-15 lead with 1:59 left before halftime. However, the Hawks (24-6) closed the quarter by going on an 8-2 run that was capped off by a dunk by Richard with eight seconds left that cut the Griffins’ lead to 33-23. Then in the third quarter, Arroyo Valley drew even closer when it outscored the Griffins 18-10 and by the fourth quarter, the Hawks only trailed 43-41. “Once the first quarter ended, we went back to work on the defensive end and after that, they didn’t get many good looks at the basket,” Arroyo Valley coach Scott Smith said. “We take pride in our defense and in the second half, we didn’t turn the ball over and we started to believe. LOS ALAMITOS – Over the weekend, the Los Alamitos High School boys basketball team won a second straight CIF-Southern Section championship, but on Tuesday, Arroyo Valley made sure the Griffins’ trophy case would be locked for the remainder of the season. Joseph Richard had 23 points and 13 rebounds and Darryl Weathersby scored 14 points as the Hawks used a big second half to beat the Griffins 61-53 in the first round of the CIF State Division I playoffs. center_img “We just quit playing and we quit attacking,” Los Alamitos coach Russ May said. “You can’t win state playoff games playing timid. It is very disappointing but at the same time, it has also been quite a ride. A lot of people didn’t think we would even get to this point.” The Griffins (29-5) entered the state playoffs riding a 21-game winning streak after they upset top-ranked Redondo 67-50 on Saturday night to win the CIF-SS I-A crown. last_img read more

January 11, 2020 | | Post a Comment

first_img“It’s always heart-warming to see how this community responds,” Ackerman said. “What has happened here is nothing less than I would have expected.”What has happened here? – An abundance of “energetic volunteers and staff” transformed the North Peace Area into an evacuation centre, offering a place for small animals to rest their heads, filled with donations of pet food and kennels, not to mention the flood of community members offering accommodations for evacuees.Vouchers for restaurants and grocery stores are also being distributed for those in need.- Advertisement -Meanwhile, Ackerman says the 820 registered evacuees are now set up in either a campground with their RV, local hotels or bunking with family and friends.Ackerman goes on to say those who’ve yet to register, whether inside the region or not, are still asked to do so by calling 250 787 8182, ensuring officials know you’re not in any danger.The Wildfire Branch is reporting that the evacuation order will not be lifted today, but on the other hand, there’s been no reported direct impact of the fire inside the community.Advertisement Firefighters are planning a back burn and water bomb of the wildfire throughout the day.If you’re looking for something to help pass the time during this gloomy day, family friendly games and Disney movies are being streamed inside the arena, as well as inside the Lido Theatre, which is being offered at absolutely no cost.In addition, Blacksmith Yoga is offering a yoga class tomorrow at 7:00 p.m., located at 10104 – 100th Street, next to Dairy Queen. The class is limited to a maximum of 24 people, however, a second class may run on Saturday if interests peak. Donations are being accepted.The Mayor is meeting with evacuees inside the arena for an update on the current situation at 12:00 p.m., and again at 5:00 p.m.Advertisementlast_img read more

January 3, 2020 | | Post a Comment

first_img160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! By Erik Schelzig THE ASSOCIATED PRESS NASHVILLE, Tenn. – Tennessee’s tax on illegal drugs is “arbitrary, capricious and unreasonable,” an appeals court declared in ruling the “crack tax” was unconstitutional because it derives revenue from illegal activities. The law allows the state to go after the belongings of people who are caught with illegal drugs or alcohol that don’t bear the special tax stamps. Critics have argued that defendants acquitted on drug charges can still be forced to pay thousands of dollars or turn over property because the Department of Revenue’s burden of proof is lower than it is in criminal cases. Steven Waters, a carpenter, challenged the statute last year after Revenue agents sought to seize his home after a drug sting. A county judge found the drug tax violated the Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination. In the ruling dated Thursday and released Friday, a three-judge Court of Appeals panel unanimously agreed it was unconstitutional but for a different reason. The Department of Revenue plans to appeal, spokeswoman Sophie Moery said. The 2005 state law requires people to buy tax stamps for illegal drugs and liquor, just like wholesalers are required to place on cigarettes to show they’ve paid the levy.last_img read more

December 29, 2019 | | Post a Comment

first_imgMajella O’Donnell has been dealt a new blow after her father Tom was diagnosed with a brain haemorrhage.Daniel and Majella have rushed to be beside her father Tom’s bedside.Majella and husband Daniel have jetted to Tom’s side in hospital in Tenerife where he is in a critical condition.The heartache comes just weeks after Majella revealed she had breast cancer. However, Majella is battling her illness and raised more than €500,000 for the Irish Cancer Society after having her head shaved on the Late Late Show.An official announcement on Daniel’s website today cancelled a number of shows which the singer has planned in England in the coming days.Fans have been told they will be given more news on Tom’s condition as it is made known.A friend of the couple said they are heartbroken by the news but hoping that Tom may pull through. “Majella is devastated and herself and Daniel have jetted to Tenerife where they have a home.“They want to be beside Tom’s bedside and are asking everyone to pray that he makes a recovery.”  MAJELLA’S NEW HEARTACHE AS DAD SUFFERS BRAIN HAEMORRHAGE was last modified: October 14th, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:dad Tomdaniel o’donnellhaemorrhageMajella O’DonnellTenerifelast_img read more

December 26, 2019 | | Post a Comment

first_imgA SINN Fein councillor today quit the party – claiming it wasn’t a party of equals.Ballyshannon Town Councillor Rosaleen Branley had been at the centre of a party investigation after she was found not guilty of assault in a court case last year.In a statement released today Cllr Branley said: “I am resigning from the party with effect from today, Thursday, January 19th. “On the sad passing of my late father, Cllr. PJ Branley, I was approached by the local Sinn Féin party to carry on the work that my father had diligently carried out on behalf of the people of Ballyshannon.“After consultations with my family and friends, I decided to let my name go forward.“In the following election, the people of Ballyshannon came out and gave tremendous support to myself personally, and also to my family. Subsequently, I received 247 votes, and topped the poll on the first count.“It soon became evident that a female voice in Ballyshannon was not treated to seriously and divisions appeared – in our party of equals.”  SINN FEIN COUNCILLOR RESIGNS OVER SPLIT IN PARTY was last modified: January 19th, 2012 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:BallyshannonRosaleen BranleySinn Feinlast_img read more

December 25, 2019 | | Post a Comment

first_imgDENNIS Burke, from Sligo and more lately of Dublin, investigates foreign aircraft landings in Ireland during the Second World War.One such landing in Donegal towards the end of that conflict has thrown up some fascinating facts.And Dennis is hoping one of our readers either here or abroad might be able to add new information so he can complete his file on it. This is his story from long and detailed research:BY DENNIS BURKEIrish Army archives record that at about 14:20 hours on the 10th February 1945, an aircraft made an emergency belly landing on Portsalon beach on the shores of Ballymastocker bay, Lough Swilly in County Donegal. The officer commanding Fort Dunree on the Innishowen peninsula reported that an aircraft had come down on the beach at Port Salon.Local men of the Local Defense Force (LDF) and Local Security Force (LSF) were quickly present at the scene and took account of the crew of the aircraft. The Irish Army files records the aircraft having been “flying mail from USA to Britain”. The five men were taken to the Port Salon Hotel nearby where they were accommodated for the night. The aircraft carried nine large mail bags and all were recovered from the wreckage. The aircraft was reported to be sinking in the sand on the evening of the landing, the Army officer reporting : “The plane appeared to be slowly sinking in the soft sand and at Full Tide it was almost completely submerged in the water.”The men’’s names were recorded by the Army as:Capt. L R Rawlings – AmericanCapt. G K Pidgeon – CanadianW/O L W Smith – British Fl/O W Wright – CanadianFl/O W M Scott – CanadianThe Irish Army officers noted in their report that “Capt. Rawlings and Capt. Pigeon are not members of the RAF but belong to Transport Ferry Command.”They were brought to the border with Northern Ireland the following day and passed over at the Bridgend border post at 15:00 hours. Also handed over were the mail bags. The wreckage of the aircraft was less inclined to move on and was the subject of a six day salvage operation. Nine bags of mail were recovered from the aircraft. The army records state that the back of the aircraft was broken in the two hours after landing by the incoming tide. It subsequently sank up to 6 foot into the sand. It proved impossible to salvage the rear and ball turret machine guns and thus members of the Army ordnance corps were tasked with blowing up the aircraft on February 24th. After this effort it was decided that the guns could not be recovered and the local Garda were asked to keep an eye on the wreckage area at low tide.To this day one can find metal structural parts sticking out of the sand on Portsalon beach at low tides.What brought this aircraft to Portsalon beach on a Saturday afternoon in 1945? Royal Air Force records tell us that the aircraft was a large four engined Consolidated Liberator GR. VIII of the Royal Air Force. It was one of almost 13000 of the Liberator family built in American factories, many of which were transferred to the British Government on the Lend Lease programme. American production records record this airframe as a Consoldated B-24J-100-CF. The designation shows the aircraft was the B-24J sub type of Liberator. This subtype, along with the B-24H, had introduced the familiar four twin gun turrets onto the type, one each in the nose and tail along with upper dorsal and lower ball turret. The designators ‘-100-CF’ indicated further that this aircraft was from a production block of B-24J’s built by Consolidated at their Forth Worth facility in Texas. The aircraft was then assigned to the Royal Air Force where it gained the serial number KK295 which it brought to its inglorious end on Portsalon Beach. Among a batch of 158 other Liberators, KK295 was built to the GR VIII specification. The GR stood for General Reconnaissance which was the term used for aircraft used in anti-submarine warfare at the time.Britain assigned a great many of the Liberators they received to maritime patrol squadrons due to the aircrafts great range capabilities. These aircraft served with up to 20 squadrons of the Coastal Command and many of those flew their wartime missions out of Northern Ireland bases. For the anti-submarine role the aircraft were fitted with radar equipment and aerials and some were fitted with a “Leigh Light” search light under one wing for night operations.For these over water operations the RAF Liberators GR’s were painted in an almost all white paint scheme with grey-green camouflage on the top surfaces of the aircraft.The RAF Museum in Hendon, London holds an Air Ministry Form 1180 for the crash of KK295 and it states the following as reason for the crash.(The following information is extracted from the Form 1180)Time of Accident: 1324ZDuration of Flight: 11H 14MDuty: Ferrying across the AtlanticF.B. In bad weather aircraft (a/c) unable to find break in cloud; had to force land on beach after petrol ran low.A BOKP – CN – PCM – Pilot to blame in view of XXXX carburetors, not allowed to fly in cloud, took off in adverse weather conditions. Could not find Prestwick. Did not return when port inner engine using 15 gals per hour more that others. Aircraft force landed to low fuel state.E – PS PMU – OKA – RM: Wireless telegraphy (W/T) reception very bad due to interference.X – OKW – VF – Had to force land, would not find airfield (A/F). XXX of carburetor icing up. Could not climb.The Form also confirms the flight crews names as Pilot, Captain L R Rawlings and 2nd Pilot, First officer G R Pigeon. Capt Rawlings is listed as having over 1800 flight hours at that time and F/O Pigeon having over 7000.The aircraft is noted as assigned to RAF Prestwick and number 45 Group. This was the RAF organization that by this stage in the war was managing the Ferrying of large aircraft from North America across the Atlantic to fight in Europe. It was at this time part of the RAF’s Transport Command, having taken over from the former Ferry Command.The ranks of the two pilots tell a story also, Captain and First Officer indicate that these two men were infact civilians, not military aircrew as one might expect with a large wartime bomber. British Ferrying operations during the war made use of large numbers of civilian contracted aircrew to ferry the much needed aircraft across the Atlantic.1st Officer PigeonAs with KK295, the crew of many aircraft consisted of military and civilian aircrew. The military members in many cases had just completed training in Canada and this was used as a means of getting them back to Europe to join the war whereas other military personnel were assigned to ferrying operations for prolonged periods.Using various military and genealogical sources it is possible to learn something more of the men on KK295. The Directorate of History and Heritage in Canada was a particularly important source in this case having Ferry Command Cards for crew members Rawlings, Pigeon, Smith, Wright and Scott.F/Sgt Leonard William Smith 937181, RAFVRIt was from these sources that the follow photos were sourced, sadly the photo on Capt. Rawlings card was missing.Capt. Lee Roy Rawlings 1st Officer George Romeo Pigeon F/Sgt Leonard William Smith 937181, RAFVR P/O William Wright J/xxxxx, RCAF P/O Walter Harold Scott J39408 RCAFCapt Rawlings was Lee Roy Rawlings, born in September 1918 in Waco Texas to Laura and William Rawlings. The Abilene Report newspaper of 23 November 1939 records a Lee Roy Rawlings being enrolled in a pilots course in Abilene. He was a student in Abilene Christian College at the time.William WrightIt seems that Lee, at the start of the war in Europe, volunteered his service to the Biritish government. Lee’s name can be found on the manifest of the SS Thorstrand in November 1942, when that vessel arrived in New York. Beside his name in hand writing is ‘1st Officer Air Transport Auxiliary’. This was another wartime civilian staffed ferry organization this time based in the United Kingdom which ferried aircraft around the United Kingdom. ATA staff were civilian pilots who ferry newly built aircraft from british factories to front line units to spare RAF pilots for front line duties.Walter Harold ScottCaptain Rawlings Ferry Command card shows that he signed on with Ferry Command on July 19, 1943. He captained at least 18 aircraft from North America to Europe but also to India and the Middle East on two occasions. He flew various types including Ventura and Mitchell twin engine bombers, Dakota transports, the larger Liberator and the famous Mosquito attack bomber.Lee Rawlings passed away in Hale, Texas in December 1980. In 2009 his late nephew Bob Rawlings of Arizona contacted the author to pass on some details of Lee’’s life and career. Bob was referring to a website at which contains photos of wreckage on Portsalon beach.“My uncle, Lee Roy Rawlings, was the pilot in command of the B-24 bomber that made the emergency landing at the beach near Portsalon in Feb ’45. Per the link to the site, there has been some feedback as to what the “remains” are. I very clearly remember a picture that he took or obtained before the plane was blown up by the Army or disassembled.”“Additionally, the comment from Celine Hynes is 100% correct about the hotel. This particular plane was retrieved at the factory by this crew and immediately ferried to England. Upon reaching the coast of Ireland, the weather continued to worsen after circling for several hours off shore plus they were unable to make radio contact due to their location and/or altitude. For fear of being detected as a German aircraft if they pressed on, the decision was made to land on the beach. Lee relayed to me that the bomb bay doors were opened to act as a “sand scoop” in order for the plane to stop as quickly as possible.“After exiting the plane and accounting for all persons, the next order of business was to remove the Norden Bombsight which as that time was a classified piece of equipment.“Lee was about 22 years of age when the RCAF was asking for American volunteers prior to the US entering the war. He departed for Canada in 1940 or early 1941. At that time Lee was already a licensed civilian/commercial pilot in the US. In fact he was teaching aeronautics at a flight school in Dallas Texas (his family home) that had a contract with the Canadian Government for flight training. Being single, there was only one choice, he went to Canada for an adventure.“I do not believe that he actually saw any combat during WWII, as he was a Captain in the Canadian Transport Command till his discharge at the end of WWII.“My relationship with Lee was first as my uncle (my Dad’s older brother) and then aviation. Lee returned to the US in ’46, married a beautiful Canadian girl and settled near Plainview Texas. He then began a 35 year career of crop dusting (aerial application of agricultural chemicals). Much like Lee, I’ve been involved with airplanes nearly all my life. Lee died in Dec of ’80. I began my crop dusting career several years prior and was fortunate to fly and work with Lee the two years prior to his death. I bought his business in early ’81.”Bob sadly passed away at Christmas 2010 before he could pass on further information.It can thus be seen that Lee was a very experienced pilot at the time of the emergency landing in Donegal despite the harshness of the crash report.George Romeo PigeonGeorge Romeo Pigeon was the 2nd Pilot on that day. George was an older man, born in October 1900 in Quebec, Canada according to his Ferry Command records. Other shipping records however showing his arrivals in New York during the war show is age to be up to five years older. He appears as Romeo or George on various records, using both names first. He signed up the Ferry Command in July 1942. He appears to have stayed active in the aerospace industry after the war as his name seems to appear associated with a aerial surveying company named Aero-photo. He also seems to have been an RCAF member around 1932. In 1942 also he may have suffered a small mishap in an Anson trainer of the RCAF. Anson 6242 which he was taxing for take off accidently struck another aircraft. It is presumed he was undertaking a ferrying roll at that time also. The name appears also as a likely owner postwar of Yellowknife Airways. At this time he owned a Stinston Station Wagon with Canadian registration CF-KJL.The W/O L W Smith recorded by the Irish Army turns out to be Flight Sergeant Leonard William Smith 937181 of the Royal Air Force. His address during the war was near Walsall, Staffordshire and he was born in May 1921 in Sheffield. He married his wife Lorna in Staffordshire in 1944. His family kindly made contact following a letter being published in the Chase Post and confirmed details of Leonard Smith’s career, he was known to the family as ‘Smudge’. He unfortunately died on November 3rd 1998 aged 77. His trade per RAF Ferry Command records was that of Flight Engineer. F/Sgt Smith flew on at least four ferry missions in the later part of the war, his ferry Command Card in the DHH is a little unclear in this point. His last ferry mission before ending up in Ireland was to Cairo with another Liberator bomber. This is possibly where the photo at left was taken, which shows Leonard standing in frontof the Sphinx in Egypt. Leonard served a tour of duty with RAF Bomber Command during the war, flying at least 33 missions over Europe.The forth crew member was Pilot Officer William Wright J/xxxxx of the Royal Canadian Air Force. Born in Scotland in October 1918, he held the trade of observer. This meant that he was the navigator on the aircraft. He appears to have moved to Canada with his family in 1924.The final crew member was Pilot Officer Walter Harold Scott J39408 of the Royal Canadian Air Force. Born in 1913 in Ontario. He was also a navigator by trade.Compiled by Dennis Burke, 2012, Dublin and Sligo. If you have information on any of the people listed above, please do contact me at irishwarcrash@yahoo.comTHE DAY DURING WORLD WAR TWO AN AMERICAN PLANE CRASH LANDED ON DONEGAL BEACH – CAN YOU HELP INVESTIGATOR? was last modified: November 23rd, 2012 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:THE DAY DURING WORLD WAR TWO AN AMERICAN PLANE CRASH LANDED ON DONEGAL BEACH – CAN YOU HELP INVESTIGATOR?last_img read more