160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! SAN FRANCISCO – A condemned inmate who won a last-minute reprieve in February from being executed has filed another lawsuit claiming there must be public hearings before San Quentin State Prison changes its lethal-injection protocol. Michael Morales, 46, is also challenging the state’s method of execution, saying it amounts to cruel and unusual punishment. In response to that suit, a federal judge has said a licensed medical practitioner must be present to ensure that the drugs are flowing smoothly so Morales would avoid any unnecessary pain, but no licensed practitioner stepped forward. The Feb. 21 scheduled execution then was put on hold, and the judge said he would hold hearings in May on whether the injection method was cruel and unusual punishment. Last month, in response to that suit, the prison said it would continually drip a sedative during the three-drug execution to ensure that Morales is sedated when the paralyzing agent and heart-stopping drugs are injected.